By Chris Sekine
Welcome to summer!
I was honoured and thrilled to be selected as the President and CEO of Trisura Guarantee. Mike George has been both my friend and my mentor for 28 years. I will be forever grateful to him for having the confidence in me to start up our surety business in 2006. Mike should be very proud of what he accomplished at Trisura, which has grown over the past 13 years to become a leader in Canada for specialty insurance. Thank you Mike, and know that Trisura remains in good hands.
I would also like to acknowledge both Bob Taylor and John Garner, Mike’s partners and co-founders of Trisura. Together, they were the “three amigos.” Trisura lore is that our tag line, “A Step Above,” comes from the co-founders’ presentation to the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI) during the formation of Trisura. After the presentation concluded, the senior OSFI executive commented that the Trisura business plan and presentation was “a step above” what they normally see. The senior minister on the file corrected him by saying, “No, this presentation was a step above a step above.” After that meeting, the tag line was born and has been instilled in every part of Trisura’s culture. I am very pleased that Bob Taylor remains on the board of directors for both Trisura Guarantee and Trisura Group.
As we embark on the next phase of our journey, we will remain true to Trisura’s core values and our relentless pursuit of being a step above. We will continue to create exceptional experiences for brokers and all of our stakeholders. It may seem basic to many, but this strategy has worked well over the company’s first 13 years. It has resonated with our brokers, their customers, our reinsurers and our staff. Our priority is to build on our success and make Trisura stronger, with the goal to be recognized as Canada’s leading specialty insurer. We will continue to look for opportunities to expand our capacity and appetite within our existing lines of business, while also looking at new lines of business that are adjacent to those where we are entrenched.
With the future and our relationships in mind, we’ve re-aligned our leadership team with the following well-deserved appointments:
- Richard W. Grant to Chief Operating Officer;
- Chris Kucman to Senior Vice President of Distribution and Field Operations;
- Pina Mazzoli to Senior Vice President of Digital Distribution and Marketing;
- Matt Baynton to Senior Vice President, Surety. Matt is taking my former position to head our surety business nationally;
- Marilyn vanGansewinkel to Senior Vice President of Specialty Insurance Solutions. Marilyn is taking Richard Grant’s former position to head our Specialty Insurance Solutions business nationally;
- Glen Shaw to Senior Vice President, Risk Solutions, Warranty and Ceded Reinsurance.
Reporting to Chris Kucman and leading our various front-line operations are the following:
- John Watt, Regional Vice President, British Columbia and Yukon;
- Richard A. Grant, Regional Vice President, Prairies;
- Jean-Francois Therrien, Regional Vice President, Quebec;
- Shane Roney, Regional Vice President, Specialty Insurance Solutions, Ontario and Atlantic Canada;
- Andrew Cartwright, Regional Vice President, Surety, Ontario and Atlantic Canada;
- Jennifer Finnell, Vice President, Specialty Insurance Solutions – Association and Affinity Business.
I’m also extremely pleased to announce the following appointments in our executive head office:
- Rebekah Alberga to Senior Vice President and General Counsel;
- Victor Bandiera to Senior Vice President, Underwriting and Construction Services;
- Cindy Grant to Senior Vice President, Human Resources;
- Jason Keyfitz, Vice President and Chief Risk Officer;
- Dragan Popovic to Senior Vice President, Information Systems & Technology;
- David Scotland, Chief Financial Officer.
I’d like to extend our congratulations to all the individuals above who will help me lead Trisura.
It’s an exciting time!
With the start of summer and warmer weather finally arriving, things are also heating up at Trisura. We are proud to be listed by the Globe and Mail for the third consecutive year as one of Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers. While 2018 was one of Trisura Guarantee’s best years with almost 13% growth and a combined ratio of 86%, we’re off to a great start in 2019 with over 16% growth at the end of Q1. Over time, we’re looking to leverage the capabilities of our parent company, Trisura Group Ltd., our US affiliate, Trisura Specialty, and our Barbados-based reinsurance arm, Trisura International The sun is bright and so is the future for Trisura.
Wishing you a safe and enjoyable summer,